Nearly a year ago when it started getting nice out it was getting harder and harder to get our son to sleep. We went on a search for kid’s blackout curtains. We found some at Target, but they were not exactly what we were looking for. I shopped JoAnn’s for fabric and didn’t find anything I liked until near the end of the summer. I purchased the fabric and then found the perfect tutorial for making blackout tab top curtains! The fabric has set in my closet in a bag since then; until today. I’m washing the fabric, measuring the windows, and reading the instructions over and over again so I can finally get the curtains ready for this summer.
I purchased the fabric before I had a pattern, measured the windows, or knew exactly what I wanted to do. I bought plenty of the cute leaf pattern for the curtains, but I only bought 2 yards of the cute contrasting owls. I thought the owls would be too much as curtains. My son loved the owls as soon as he saw them. He was much more interested in them than the leaves. I can’t blame him, they really are cute. I figured JoAnn would be all sold out since nearly a year has past since I first purchased the fabric. I called the store before I drove out there. They still had the owl fabric, enough for me to make curtains and have some to play with!
I was intimidated by the many long straight cuts I’d have to make to piece together the panels. I found a technique that worked great for me. We have laminate flooring so I cleared and cleaned a large area to work on. I folded the fabric where I would need to cut. I carefully measured the length of the fold and pinned it in place. Then I pulled my scissors through keeping everything as even as possible. It worked great!
I still need to finish the panel for the other window. All the pieces are cut and the right color thread is in the machine. I keep hoping I’ll get an energy boost before baby sister gets here.