Halloween is nearly here! I’ve managed to create a costume which transforms my son into Batman, the Dark Knight. We used a freezer paper stencil to paint the Dark Knight emblem on a black long sleeve t-shirt. For the color I mixed black with a little silver paint so the design would show. My son painted his shirt and I helped smooth out the inconsistencies. I made him felt gauntlets. The black gloves he picked out from REI this summer are the perfect touch. I used Simplicity pattern 5927 as a guide to sew the cape. I wanted larger scallops at the bottom of his cape so I used a large dinner plate to draw them out with a white crayon. I used 4 yards of costume weight satin and sewed the shiny sides to the inside. There was no way I was going to hem that much satin. I had to improvise on the cape collar. Turbo let me know velcro was not his desired closure method so I got to use my new KAMsnaps pliers and snaps. For the utility belt, I used a large 2″ buckle from JoAnn’s with 2″ black nylon webbing. We used Blackberry cases to hold his gear. I know Batman’s utility belt is a sort of gold color. I tried to come up with something sort of gold and debated about spray painting it, but I think in the end it works just fine being black. To finish the look we bought a Batman mask that came with a batarang. The mask set a little too deep on my son. I glued old bike helmet pads in the mask to keep the plastic around the eye sockets from leaving marks. Turbo loves his costume. As soon as it’s on him his demeanor changes, and he becomes the Dark Knight.